Based in Paris, France
June 23, 2011
Press / Business Contact:
5 rue des Suisses
+33 (6) 27 39 85 56
Area Effect is a designer and developer of entertainment software. We are currently working on Izle, a procedural 3D ARPG to be released on Steam and next-gen consoles in 2016.
Area Effect was founded by Alexis Bacot in 2011 after 4 years at Ubisoft where he worked as a Lead Gameplay Engineer and Producer. We first started in the mobile business, creating two games: Startales and Pathingo. Startales was our first game that we produced, and with a small budget (less than 2k€) we managed to rank #1 in more than 20 country on iPad in the Kids category. It reached more than 300k unique players, with more than 3.5M games played and 250M stars caught. After that we created Pathingo (mobile puzzle game) but it didn't really reach our quality standard so it is still unreleased. We then moved on from mobile and worked with Ubisoft to develop Bipolife: a game for bipolar patients to help them understand their condition better. Bipolife is basically a Sim's game except your character is bipolar ;) It took about a year to develop, and after that we started working on Izle.Road to Izle
Currently we're working on Izle, a 3D procedural ARPG where you go on a quest to rebuild the last world of light using terraforming powers. We've been working on it since January 2013, and we're planning a Steam Early Access in the near future.
Izle Alpha Trailer YouTube
Startales Gameplay Trailer YouTube
There are far more images available for Area Effect, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Most Creative and Original Project, Best Hardcore Game, Best Desktop / Downloadable" - Izle, Game Connection Development Awards, Paris, 28 October 2014
- "The gameplay is at this time shining extremely brightly and Izle might very well be turning into a modern classic -
a game changer in the grander scheme of the industry."
- Andre Eriksson, Cubed3
- "The beauty of Izle is not just in the gorgeous low-poly environments and creatures, but the fact that you can create a world, run an adventure through it,
terraform that world to something else entirely, and chain another island to do it all over again"
- Zack Keosaian, Cliqist
- "There comes a time, every so often in gaming where a game has the potential to change the landscape, to break the mould using a fusion of ideas which complement
each other in such a way that makes a game magical."
- Aaron G., Xbox Culture
- "French studio Area Effect came out as the biggest winner of the day, taking home five trophies in total for their action-exploration game Izle."
- Award Jury, Game Connection Europe
- "Izle leads Game Connection Development Award winners"
- Steven Hansen, Destructoid
- "(French) Izle est l’un des titres les plus ambitieux du stand"
- William Bertin, Game Side Story
- "(French) Un savant mélange de Fables, de Minecraft et de Zelda pour une excellente découverte au stand Made in France du Paris Games Week"
- Aurelie Knosp, Joypad
- "Not only does Startales have engaging gameplay (...) it also offers something of an emotional experience."
- Nissa Campbell, Touch Arcade
- "App Of The Day: Startales – A Tale Of Star Crossed Lovers"
- Trevor Sheridan, Apple N Apps
Izle official website area-effect.com.
Area's Founder Website
Alexis Bacot personnal website http://light-and-shadows.net/.
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Game Director, Gameplay Engineer, Design
Betty Le Bon